Sunday, April 11, 2010

Always The Fingers!

In the midst of probably one of the biggest breakthroughs in my personal climbing ability, tragedy struck:
Well... Maybe not a complete tragedy, but certainly a setback.  I have been training A LOT recently.  Sometimes climbing nearly 40 problems V7-V11 in less than 2 hours.  Let's just say I haven't been this psyched in YEARS!  I have also been coupling my climbing training with weight training and calisthenics.  While adjusting a piece of the weight equipment a couple days ago at The Spot, my hand lost its grip and when the two pieces of heavy metal collided, my index finger was there to absorb all the force.  After two days it's feeling much better.  Hopefully it will be healed in time for the Earth Treks competition at the end of the month.  And then Jade... 

3 comments:

Daily doses said...

Damn bud. Your lucky that tips still there! Seeya on the East Coast!!

curiosityatwork said...

Care to elaborate on the weight training? Eg, what are you doing?

Carlo Traversi said...

I've been focusing mainly on pure power and the lat pulldown machine has been helping a lot. I've been doing sets of 5 @ 210 pounds and then when I can't complete a set of 5, lower the weight by 10 lbs. until I'm down around 150 lbs., and then I take a break. Nothing crazy, but they sure are helping. I've been utilizing the wider grips on the bar as well, because one of my weaknesses is lockoffs at full horizontal extension. Hope that makes sense. If you have any other questions, let me know.